✖ Close Social Content
Community Services

Community Services Division News


County Extends Application Deadline for CARES Grant

3:17 PM

Bernalillo County Housing Department is extending the deadline to apply for the Bernalillo County CARES Rental and Utility Assistance grant for qualified county residents. The new deadline to apply is Dec. 5.

County commissioners approved the use of $1 million in emergency relief monies to assist residents who are experiencing hardships due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and who are delinquent in their rents or utility payments.

Through this program, the county is offering up to $5,000 to qualifying residential renters located within Bernalillo County, including the City of Albuquerque. Landlords are also being encouraged to begin the grant process to recoup back rent. Landlords who apply will also need their renters to submit the proper application and supplemental documents.

“We’re also finding some confusion out there,” says Bernalillo County Housing Director Betty Valdez. “There is currently a federally mandated moratorium on evictions, but not on rent payments. Many tenants believe they don’t have to pay their rent, but that’s just not true. Bernalillo County can help.”

Applications can be found here.

These are the requirements needed to apply:

  • The dwelling unit must be located in Bernalillo County, including the City of Albuquerque
  • There must be an active rental agreement or lease in the applicant’s name
  • The rent must have been current as of March 13, 2020
  • The applicant must be able to document a loss of income as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency
  • Utilities must be in applicant’s name
  • Utilities must be past due or at risk of being disconnected
  • The household income must be at or below the area median income level (AMI) of $51,643

* Additional eligibility or program requirements may apply

Those requesting rental assistance should provide documentation showing need, such as:

  • Current lease or rental agreement (required)
  • Past due notice for lease or rental payments
  • Eviction notice
  • Ledger or letter from landlord

In order to receive rental assistance, the landlord must also complete the landlord’s application and must supply:

  • Invoice with past due amount(s)
  • Bernalillo County master vendor form
  • W9

Those requesting utility payment assistance should provide documentation showing need, such as:

  • Past due utility bill
  • Disconnection notice

Information can be found at www.bernco.gov or by calling Bernalillo County Housing at 505-314-0200.

back to list
Powered by Real Time Solutions - Website Design & Document Management